Author Topic: Plea for recordings of Munrow on TV...  (Read 5774 times)

DavidG

• View Profile
    • Email
Plea for recordings of Munrow on TV...
« on: April 22, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »
Have you video footage of David Munrow on TV? I would like to create an archive of it in a variety of modern digital formats, which would be available to researchers and anyone else interested. If you would be prepared to allow archiving of such material by sending it to me I can promise it would be sent back by return post, well-packed and insured, and with a back-up for your library.

I'm aware of several films including:

1. Early Musical Instruments - 6x30 minute programmes for Granada TV.
2. Ancestral Voices - for BBC2.
3. David Munrow BBC TV tribute, introduced by Bernard Levin.
4. Open University programmes.

I should add that I have been involved in many museum archive digitisation projects north of the border, including SCRAN and SSDN. Feel free to contact me if you can help. David Griffith (Administrator)

piedpiper

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Plea for recordings of Munrow on TV...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:49:31 PM »
Dear DavidG,

Yes, Early Musical Instruments is available at Film for the Humanities (use google to check)

Ancestral Voices is available at the BFI or British Film Institute site (see google)

Much to my suprise the David Munrow Tribute programme is also to be found at BFI (see google)

I have not sourced the Open University programmes but I am sure I did see one of them. Munrow, et al were dressed with blue polar neck jumpers if I am not mistaken ofcourse. The programme I saw was to do with the Susato dances. Again I may be wrong.

Of course, Munrow appeared as a guest on such programmes as Magpie (see gryphons visitors guest book on the internet for the reference), and Aquarius (which preceeded the South Bank Show if I am not mistaken). The latter piece of info came from a tv producer in Iver bucks. Munrow may well have appeared on Nationwide....and I was told by one of my contacts that he was on Dessert Island Discs which ofcourse was a radio programme...just before he passed on.

R.Searle.

piedpiper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:53:23 PM »
It may well be a good idea to put some audio from the National Sound Archives of some of DMs radio programmes especially those concerned with early music. I always remember his excellent Feast of the Pheasant which had excerpts from his Art of Courtly Love. I also realized that the script he used were from the actual notes he used for those recordings.

As you probaly know DM did some interviews of people in the limelight. I recall his conversation with Kenneth Clarke for instance in which there was special interest taken in the famous Civlization programme.

RS.

piedpiper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »

In the RAM collection there is reference to a tv series entitled something like  Music From the Great Houses. In one of them at least(Montecute House if I recall rightly) DM discussed, and presumably played some early music with his consort..

In 1969, or thereabouts DM was commissioned to do some Medieval Music for a programme about Geoffrey Chaucer. The details of this are very sketchy. Yet, there is reference to it somewhere in the RAM catalogue, and recall seeing something on it in an old entry of a book dealing with notable people a longtime ago.

On April 23rd 1971 (Sunday) if I remember correctly Music in the Round had a show entitled A Consort of Crumhorns with DM. Whether a copy of this programme exists is another matter. Yet, the Music in the Round apparently used to try, and publicise all kinds of musical talent, and was hosted by Humphrey Barton.

I must stress that I am going on memory with the above claims.

R.Searle/piedpiper.

DavidG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:53:57 PM »
Was 'Music from the Great Houses' the Open University one?

I remember seeing Munrow and his Early Music Consort of London in an Open University programme from some grand house. I also remember the musicians' distinctive blue livery. I think they performed quite a variety of music.

David

piedpiper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »

I cannot answer yea, or nay on this subject. It would require more research. However, I do recall seeing a programme in which DM, and Co were dressed in blue polar necked jumpers (if I am not mistaken). Presumably, the programme concerned could have been shot on location during the winter. I seem to recall DM talking about the Susato dances though I assume he may well have touched on other relevant subjects.

R.Searle..