Author Topic: What's Your Favourite Munrow Recordings - And Why?  (Read 9623 times)

DavidG

• View Profile
    • Email
What's Your Favourite Munrow Recordings - And Why?
« on: April 22, 2007, 06:01:44 PM »
To get the Forum ball rolling I thought I would ask for your views on favourite Munrow recordings.

I find it impossible to state just one LP so must instead list several, including:

1. Music of the Gothic Era. Such drive and presence!
2. Renaissance Suite. Was there ever a better introduction to Munrow's vast talents than this film soundtrack to La Course en Tete?
3. Greensleeves to a Ground. For me, the perfect embodiment of the English style of recorder playing - a cool, understated purity that works epecially well on pieces like Suite for Pipes by Vaughan Williams.
4. Late 14th Century Avant Garde. Astonishingly sophisticated music. Intellectually satisfying, yet clearly inpired by love, courtly or otherwise. The poetry matches the music - how often can you say that about songs?

Other highlights include Innsbruck Ich Much Lassen from The Triumphs of Maximilian. I also love everything about The Art of the Recorder, and especially Britten's Scherzo, but that's enough from me, over to you with your thoughts...

David

piedpiper

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What's Your Favourite Munrow Recordings - And Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:47:22 PM »
With respect to your choice probably one of the most interesting, and exciting recordings he did was the Renaissance Dance Bands. The Renaissance Suite as mentioned in the preceeding message was also excellent. Compared with much classical music, and its ilke renaissance big band music is somehow more powerful, and colourful!!! It is shame that it has never really been exploited to its finest degree as it holds so much potential musically for both musician, and composer.

R.Searle.

jjsoetekouw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 12:42:44 PM »
Munrow recorded on The art of the Netherlands a Gloria by Antoine Brumel from the Missa "Et ecce terrae motus." A very exciting thundering piece from the so called 'Earthquakemass.' My favourite.
In his final days Munrow embraced vocal music. I think, if he was still alive now, he would record the great masses by Mozart, Faur? and Verdi.

spitfire

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 05:49:30 PM »
I cannot say that I have listened to the record or CD recording, but as a young school boy, I would listen to a radio series of THE HOBBIT by J.R.R> TOLKIEN, staring Micheal Horden in the early 1970s. This was a BBC production and the Early music consort of London were the musicians.
Sadly I cannot find the CD of the music, but the series is available on CD.
Does any one know if the music CD is available any where.

DavidG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 05:46:24 PM »
I'm not aware of a current CD release, but I do have the lp record if you want me to record that for you sometime? It created a real stir at the time (1968), and provided a convincing alternative musical backdrop to something you might have expected the BBC Radiophonic Workshop to get first call for. David Cain's music managed to convey a sense of ancient other-worldliness as well as having a contemporary freshness - the sound of exotic harmonies on voices and crumhorns was especially memorable!

Beachcomber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 09:21:41 PM »
Strangely enough, my favourite recording of Munrow was not his early music recordings (although I love listening to most of them) but the Brandenburg Concertos - no 4 in particular - with John Turner and Arthur Davison's Virtuosi of London.  The way he literally flies at the music is seat of the pants stuff.  I've heard a lot of Brandenburg 4 but this is, without doubt, the pick of the lot of them.  His playing in them is second to none.

great bass recorder

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 10:52:44 PM »
There are so many legendary performances, the three box sets are joys from start to finish, but personally I always get a warm glow and a quickening of the heartbeat every time I dust down side three of the Instruments of the Middle Ages and Renaissance box from 1976. That opening fanfare with those celestial harmonies from sporano, alto and tenor shawm (yes, I did just check the sleevenotes) with that crisp snare accompaniment on track 1, is as glorious as any sound I've ever heard. Later you've got the quartet of rackets sounding like a swarm of angry bees, the diaphonous beauty of Holborne's Fairie Round - play that at my funeral, please - and then the thunderous maginifcience of the 16th century organ in Entrada Real. Not only does it all sound so authentic, colourful, precise and evocative, but it's also focuses and full of passion.

Kind Regards to all

Barry (great bass recorder)

ps... anybody into Gryphon and Richard Harvey?     

DavidG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 01:20:14 PM »

Barry (great bass recorder)

ps... anybody into Gryphon and Richard Harvey?     

Thanks for that Barry.

Gryphon and Richard Harvey hold a special place for many folk into early music and folk and rock 'crossover' styles. I have their eponymously named first album and it's a mixed grill indeed. From the chirpiness of Kemp's Jig and that amazing triple-tonguing on recorder at the end, to the ethereal beauty of Touch and Go, with a bit of cheesy Steeleye Span Farmer's Wife folkery in the middle!

Later albums were more conceptual and pointed the way to Richard Harvey's future direction towards larger-scale music pieces - what is it about classically trained pomp rockers? Harvey was one of the world's best recorder players and has made many 'legit' recordings.

Back to Munrow, who of course made many folk crossover recordings and was no stranger to folksy bawdiness - hence his gag about 'having the biggest pair of nakers' in recitals - his compositions were simple and folk-derived, and played with his usual panache. The album Renaissance Suite has a good variety of Munrow compositions worth checking out - if anyone would like to see it released on CD then get in touch and we'll lobby the original recording owners for permission!

David

pgjennings

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 04:32:44 PM »
Last  Saturday I bought "The Art of David Munrow" from my local Oxfam shop; i'd last heard it when I borrowed it from the public library as a schoolboy. My favourite track was David's own composition "The six days of Grenoble". I suppose it's asking too much that his album of music from "La Course en tete" is re-released.

DavidG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 05:18:10 AM »
After the 'Early Musical Instruments' DVD, a CD reissue of Munrow's 'Renaissance Suite' is next on the cards - followed by 'Greensleeves to a Ground'. As ever, keep an eye on this website!

These projects do take a long time to negotiate - the DVD reissue above took over three years just to get any meaningful answer from the copyright holder, but I am pretty determined!

In my opinion, Renaissance Suite is the best introduction to Munrow's talents.

David

piedpiper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 11:39:45 AM »

Yes, the Renaissance Suite is certainly one of my favourites! I hope you succeed in getting the legal rights for it to be reissued. It would also be nice if possible to have the original green cover reproduced along with the Elizabethan image of a young man dressed in rich garb.

It might also be a good idea as well to have a collection of DMs "best" pieces on a cd perhaps called The World of David Munrow, or some such title. Maybe some people could suggest some possible tracks for inclusion. I think it could also sale well but it all depends on good marketing.

I expect rightly, or wrongly it would be easier to get copyright sorted as we are only talking here about a collection of tracks from different Munrow sources. Ofcourse, I may well be wrong.

R.Searle.

Troubadour

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 12:49:17 AM »
Hi - could I just second or third the request to have DM's Renaissance Suite released on CD - I have a copy of the vinyl which is crackly and jumps - it's a wonderful listen - track 2 just bristles with excitement. Concerning favourite DM recordings I agree with 'Music of the Gothic Era' being right up there. I also enjoy the Dufay Mass CD - beautifully recorded and seemingly very underated. Again agree that 'The Art of Recorder' is a joy from start to finish.
Good luck with the 'Renaissance Suite' release.
Kind Regards to all   

SchubertMachiavelli

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 11:24:30 AM »
Hello everyone - nice to find there's a Munrow forum out there!

Richard Harvey also went on to do the theme music for Gerry Anderson's Terrahawks series: plenty of pompous, sci-fi trumpeting synth music from the early 80s. In its own way, as much of a jump for Harvey from Gryphon as Munrow's was for Zardoz!

My own favourite Munrow piece? At gunpoint, I'd say El grillo e buon cantore, on the Art Of The Netherlands. A miniature choral masterpiece, and yet a medieval pop song at the same time!

Paul

twogoodears

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 07:48:46 PM »
My VERY own David Munrow's recording ever is the 45 r.p.m. "Angel Sonic Series" on Angel of "The Renaissance Suite" - i.e. - "La course en tete" O.S.T.... as I previously wrote, own pretty everything DM's recorded on vinyl and listen quite often to many of them during the year, BUT the overall quality of this disc - enhanced by the exotic high dynamic and resolution pressing - and music on it give to me goosebumps. ;)

Also in tears when listening to James Bowman's angel-like countertenor voice on "Complaint - Oh Death rock me asleep"... ahhhh, those violas hiding and seeking...

I love this piece. 

padmavyuha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 10:22:44 AM »
My favourite track was David's own composition "The six days of Grenoble".
Same here! Happiest music around! I can almost pull it off on a penny whistle, but man, he was fast...

- padmavyuha