Author Topic: Forty Years Ago...................  (Read 1020 times)

sarahk

• View Profile
Re: Forty Years Ago...................
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 03:31:39 AM »
So hard to believe 40 years have passed since the death of David Munrow, R.I.P.

A celebration of the life of Munrow - entitled Sound the Trumpet, I think - was held at the Greenwich Early Music festival on the 30th year of his passing.  Former Munrow colleagues David Pugsley, James Bowman, and John Turner performed together in concert at that event.  I realize this is unlikely, but will there be a similar event on this 40th year?

DavidG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:35:07 PM »
A quick perusal of the 2016 Greenwich Early Music Festival events programme doesn't reveal any particular homage to Munrow, nor does this year's York Early Music Festival, but perhaps other early music festivals may mark their respects, so if anyone knows of a suitable event please post on here.

I'm planning a concert in Munrow's memory later this year, but it's likely to be here in the frozen north!

sarahk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:54:51 PM »
On 10 May 2016, the Cambridge University Library opened its exhibit of programs, photographs, and other materials that pertain to David Munrow's career.  The memorabilia appear in the library's Anderson Room exhibition cases.  Gill Munrow recently presented the memorabilia to the library.  I do not know when the Munrow exhibit will end.

The library's music blog briefly announced the exhibit (To celebrate, to commemorate: David Munrow), at https://musicb3.wordpress.com/2016/05/06/to-celebrate-to-commemorate-david-munrow/

Consider contacting the library for more info if you plan to see the exhibit.  Contact info:  http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/deptserv/music/contacts.html