Author Topic: David Munrow - a Tombeau from Southern Europe... aehm, Italy, actually.  (Read 3952 times)

twogoodears

• View Profile
    • Email
I found this nice Forum and site by chance, while I was editing in my own Blog from an almost defunct Forum devoted to music and audio, a short essay I wrote (in italian) in 2006, to remember his too early death, forty years before...

I've been an Ancient Music lover since my early boyhood, thanks to my musical family... I'm a guitar, lute and oud player, now in my 50 ::) and came to David Munrow by chance, attracted by his EMI and Argo artcovers... but I guess my very first DM's record was his last, the Archiv 3 records-set about Gothic Era music... before my interest was in Clemencic, Kees Otten, Deller and the like... BUT David's music completely blew my musical mind!!!

Shortly after, I began avidly collecting ALL his several discs, collaborations included, and in about a ten years hiatus I owned EVERYTHING he did... impressive... fantastic little, GREAT man!

I got so intrigued when in a booklet on EMI I read exceptionally well written and informative liner notes... imagined his daily schedule, rehearsing, recording, concerts, the 655 Pied Pier BBC's radio programs he performed in...  five years, between 1971 and 1976... his days were a 35-36 hours affaire, indeed...

David's always played a role in my life - not only musically - since 1976, when I knew about him: the B/W pixes in records booklets have been one of my inspirations when I produced my first musical productions, back in early '90s... classy, old timey approach, al least I tried copy-catting the VERY best :-[

An humble genius, a gentle persona, and his soft voice, almost whispering from his "Medieval Sound" on Oryx clearly made me aware... I have a movie of his life in my romantic mind... my fault, my richness... who know...

World has been a poorer place since his untimely death... and this site and people remembering him is the living proof... a genius lives in his masterpieces... forever.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:29:19 AM by twogoodears »

piedpiper

• View Profile
    • Email

Stefano,

I am glad you were inspired by DM, and his recordings. He, and his team certainly produced alot of them.

R.Searle

twogoodears

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: David Munrow - a Tombeau from Southern Europe... aehm, Italy, actually.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
Yes, Robert... a lot and of superb overall quality.

... in my very case, who shortly lived in London for few months back in early '80s, looking at the sessions pictures, at these beautiful black & white shots while listening to DM's records and music, was like - really - imagining the life back in those hey days, the black cabs, the Battersea plant, the small shops, a slower world where and when, a young me has been able to visit Abbey Road Studios... try now :o

... sort of a myth of mine with a soundtrack: frames of Hyde Park walks, concerts, beer, Royal College of Music searches... work and passion, together... something I lived on my own skin, as a young music lover.

Music and records may be so powerful, at times... BUT only when The Best are involved. 

piedpiper

• View Profile
    • Email
Two Good Ears,

We meet again..so to speak! I saw your blogspot, and your kind remarks about DM, and company. It maybe possible for a dvd on Ancestral Voices to be produced. I believe Mr. Griffith might well seriously consider it in the near future possibly. However, Ancestral Voices is musically broader in scope than Early Musical Instruments.

R.Searle.

twogoodears

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Robert... knowing there is such a Forum devoted, so lovingly devoted, to David's memory make me feeling better, like knowing there is an harbour after long sailing...
I sure will keep in touch with you all, waiting for any further DM's footage will re-appear from the mist.
... again my deepest, sincere appreciation and thanks to mr. Griffith.
Take care,
Stefano

twogoodears

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello Robert, David and everyone...

... someone ever browsed the Royal Academy of Music Library DM's papers?

I did for hours, and they truly are VERY interesting... I'm hinting again to my own Blog, containing a couple of working links to this goldmine of informations... just in the case someone missed it...

http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2009/04/david-munrow-lives.html

Please forgive me for self-quoting... a bona-fide act, for David's sake.
 ;)